South Bend Intersection Improvements
LocationSouth Bend, IN
Time Period2012 - 2013
As a result of INDOT’s planned improvements for the U.S. 31 bypass, South Bend’s Department of Community Investment needed to improve some impacted intersections. CBBEL provided design services for the Ireland Road intersection improvements at Fellows and High streets.
The project elements included new, dedicated left-turn lanes; drainage improvements; new sidewalks; and utility relocations to accommodate the geometry of the new intersections. The team coordinated the design with local businesses and the neighborhoods through multiple public meetings, coordinated the design with INDOT, and assisted with the right-of-way acquisition needed for the improvements.
- Added turn lanes to existing intersections
- Updated sidewalks and improvements to drainage issues
- Preliminary engineering and civil design
- Geotechnical investigation
- Topographical and boundary survey
- Utility coordination
- Public meeting coordination
- Coordination with INDOT
- Right-of-way acquisition assistance
- SWPPP preparation
- Bidding services